Thursday, May 8, 2014

Primary Chainlocker rebuild

Over the winter months of 2014, I took the ground tackle out of the forward locker to inspect the floor of the compartment. As I thought, the original steel cleat for the ground tackle had mostly rusted out.   

Despite the rusty mess, the glassed in wood floor was completely solid.

I wanted to replace a Trim piece of 3"x18" painted wood near the top of the bulkhead that separated the chain locker from the forward berth.  The bulkhead itself was solid with no rot, so this would be a simple replace

New Glass and 3 layers of bi-axial Cloth that I left over from the Chainplate Knee replacement last year. 
New Teak Trim trim piece epoxied, a bit of 5200 and some larger bolts.

Starboard side of locker: Access to fresh water tank vent and electrical wiring for the Windlass.  I'll replace the old wood cover plate with a Starboard material.